[CAUT] ghost tuning

J H jlhservice at gmail.com
Wed May 6 20:11:48 PDT 2009

Wim,

Have you gotten the "ghost" tuning figured out?  I use that occasionally.
I'll give a shot at explaining it.  Pick an octave in the bass you're trying
to tune.  Let's use E1-E2.  So, the test for that is a minor third above E1,
which is the same note as a sixth below the E2.  They should beat about the
same, or the minor should beat a bit slower if you want some stretch.  In
any case, instead of playing the notes, depress them and hold so that the
hammer doesn't hit the string but the damper is open.  So, depress the E1
then a minor third above, G.  The ghost note for this test is an octave and
a fifth above the upper note (E2) in your octave being tuned.  That'll make
it B3 (right next to mid C).  Holding those test notes open (E1 and G1) give
the B a quick hit, don't hold it down.  That will make the test notes
sympathetically vibrate.  Now, do the same thing with the sixth, G1 and E2;
depress without hitting the keys, and give the B a quick hit.  Listen to the
beats.  You can use the beat speeds to decide whether to tune that lower E1
up or down.  It's much easier to show, kinda hard to tell!  Good luck,
Jeremy Herrera