[CAUT] (no subject)

pmctooner at cfl.rr.com pmctooner at cfl.rr.com
Fri May 8 10:04:43 MDT 2009

Sorry, but I have to add my 2 cents worth to the discussion of Baldwin "plate ringing".  Don Mannino is on the right track.
 The whole reason behind the re-design of the Baldwin piano was to give it more sustain and resonance.
 This was accomplished very nicely with the innovation of the adjustable hitch pin,( to achieve more precise down bearing),
 and the termination bars behind the tuning pins,( to achieve precise termination of the speaking length of the string).
 In some of the early models, there were some errant harmonics emitting from the portion of string from the termination bar to the tuning pin. This could be dealt with by muting off that portion of the offending string.
  This flaw was corrected by a minor design change in the termination bars, in later models.
Respectfully submitted,
P.McCutcheon
Former technician to the design engineer of the SD and SF 10.