[CAUT] string level

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri May 8 10:48:51 MDT 2009

I was leveling strings this morning, so I thought I take a picture
showing my "top heavy" level in action. As you can see, the level is
nice and visible above the plate strut (no need to lean over to see
it). I stabilize the level with finger and thumb, really just barely
brushing it with fingertips. I pluck the strings with the string hook
tool shown, using the hooked end of it on the string to produce a very
subtle pluck (more controllable than fingernail or sharpened
hammershank, and then use the same tool to pull up on appropriate
string(s) (method courtesy of Takatori Itake). While I am pulling up
on strings, I move the level aside.
	Altogether, this is very efficient use of energy, with minimal hand
and body movement. The left hand stays on the level, resting nicely on
the strut. The right hand uses the same tool for plucking and for
pulling. The only time I need to put something down and pick something
else up is if I need to press down a string, which is relatively not
too often.
	In any case, I have been using this system successfully for six
years. Half an hour usually gets me through a piano that needs a lot
of work. I'll do extra-picky refining work while voicing, but a first
run through will make that refining quite minimal.
	The only drawback is it won't fit between dampers and capo that are
too close together, so that's why I am exploring the magnet thing.

P5070002.JPG

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico