[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri May 8 12:31:09 PDT 2009

I understand what you are saying but it seems to me that the sound is not
totally fresh.  It's driven by the same energy but has been converted into
something capable of moving more air.  When you damp the string, the sound
stops.  So if it was totally new sound wouldn't it have a life of its own?
Talking about this as if sound and energy were the same thing seems
inaccurate.  The energy exists, in this case, even if there is no sound (as
it would be in a vacuum).  It's only sound because it exists in a medium
(air in this case) that reacts more to the mass and movement of the
soundboard than the string.  The effective output (measured amplitude in an
air medium) of the converted energy increases when it is transferred to the
soundboard, a more efficient mover of air.  It gets louder.  While from an
electrical engineering viewpoint that is not amplification, i.e. the
addition of new energy, from a colloquial standpoint, it certainly seems to
be amplified.

I do think we all agree on one thing, if it weren't for the soundboard, we
wouldn't be hearing much.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com