[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri May 8 12:58:28 PDT 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 1:31 PM, David Love wrote:

> I understand what you are saying but it seems to me that the sound
> is not
> totally fresh.  It's driven by the same energy but has been
> converted into
> something capable of moving more air.  When you damp the string, the
> sound
> stops.

	That is because the soundboard needs energy input to produce a
continuous sound. By itself, the soundboard has a very rapid decay
(following a single blow, as in a hammer blow).

> So if it was totally new sound wouldn't it have a life of its own?

	Sound doesn't have a life of its own. It is wave patterns in air that
propagate (move outward from the original source). If the original
source stops vibrating and moving air, "sound" stops.

> Talking about this as if sound and energy were the same thing seems
> inaccurate.

	It may be somewhat confusing, but it is possible to tease the
concepts apart. It takes energy to create sound. If the energy is
coupled to something capable of moving a lot of air, the sound will be
louder. There are lots of ways of expending energy that don't create
any sound at all.
	If energy is put into a cycling system, like a string, it can produce
musical sound. If the cycling system is capable of storing the energy
temporarily (like a string, elastically moving back and forth), the
sound can have greater duration.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico