[CAUT] Semantics

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat May 9 13:16:12 MDT 2009

No. You completely misunderstand.  "I and the rest of the world" have been taught from early school years that the word "amplify" means "to make larger or more powerful".  Applied to volume of noise, the definition becomes "to make the volume of noise larger or more powerful".

The fact that we are bickering over this difference in semantics - and that is what it is - has to do with the reality that there is a very small portion of the population that uses the word differently, and rejects what we have all been taught to accept as the definition of the word from early grade school.  The non-physicists of the world have not been taught that, in physics in order to "amplify", energy must be increased.  We all just know it gets louder.  Indeed, I have not been the only technician to misuse the word in this discussion.  Obviously, we all learned the same thing to begin with, and we've had someone even post to that effect.  Those of you who studied physics obviously had to unlearn it and apply the word differently as it pertains to your context.

Jeff