[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun May 10 12:25:35 MDT 2009

On May 9, 2009, at 8:22 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

>  the original topic, which had to do with the theory that string
> vibrations could be coupled, through accujust hitchpins, to the
> plate, and could make the plate vibrate/resonate in some way. If we
> want to try to see if the analogy between a stake driven into the
> earth, abraded by a hoe, and a string terminated on a vertical pin,
> driven into a hole in a mass of cast iron, has any validity

	Returning to the original topic, and analyzing it by the model of a
driver and a membrane/resonator:
	With a soundboard, the string is the driver, and it is firmly coupled
to the SB assembly via bridge pins. The speaking length of a struck
string has quite a bit of energy, and it is driving a relatively light
weight material, selected for its capacity to vibrate (a lot better
than many other woods, for instance).
	The vibration of the backscale of the strings is very low in energy,
relying entirely on what is fed to it in the way of "sympathetic"
vibrations (mostly the bridge conveying energy back from the SB to the
back length). The accujust pin is not a firm coupler, in that the
string loops around it, and pivots at the loop when it vibrates. Very
little of the vibrational energy of the string is transferred to the
pin. The plate is very massive, and not a good resonator (you can make
it ring if you hit it with a hammer, but it takes a lot of energy to
get a significant amount of sound).
	The analogy with the stake driven into the earth, and rubbing the top
of the stake with the hoe? Based on what I gather from Jeff's
description, a lot of energy is being expended at the top of the stake
(compared to very little at an accujust pin). The stake is somewhat
flexible itself, and can be "set vibrating" and those vibrations are
conveyed into the earth. The earth is pliant, so the stake can
"vibrate within it" and create waves which are analogous to
soundwaves. (The accujust pin is set into a material that is not at
all pliant, and the pin will be hard pressed to vibrate within the
plate hole). Based on Jeff's description, there is a sound produced in
the air, though whether or not it is related to the vibration in the
earth is subject to doubt (at least on my part). I suspect the sound
heard by the "grunter" is produced by the hoe head and the stake,
moving air, not by the earth moving air. So the sound change from
different heights of stake may have more to do with the portion of the
stake vibrating above the earth rather than within it, or so I would
picture it (though I guess the vibrational modes would be related in
some way). All told, I find it difficult to draw a close parallel
between this stake and hoe arrangement and a back length of string and
accujust pin arrangement.
	In short, looking at this analogy, it seems a pretty big stretch. It
seems very far fetched to believe that a significant amount of energy
is conveyed into the plate by the backlength via the accujust pin,
certainly not enough to make that massive plate resonate. At least
that is my take.
	A way of investigating further: strike, pluck, bow, or otherwise
activate the back length of the strings, and see what the result is.
You will be introducing far more energy into that system than is
introduced by playing the piano. Can you make the plate resonate?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu