[CAUT] Semantics

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun May 10 16:11:10 MDT 2009

Geez, This is probably the most aptly named thread that has ever been on
Caut.

   Gary writes:
> And we measure loudness by *amplitude* of the sound/sine
>wave.  So, saying the sound is "amplified" by the soundboard seems
>reasonable to me.

          It is perfectly reasonable. Actually,loudness is defined by the
human ear's perception, ie, it is "the attribute of sound measured by the
magnitude of the auditory sensation" (Webster's).  In musical use, the pitch is
at least an equal determinant of loudness as the amplitude.  Loudness is
not only correlated to sound pressure level but pitch,as well.

Fred writes:
>>This doesn't mean that someone who thinks that a soundboard makes a
string sound louder is stupid. It does mean that someone who holds
that opinion is ill-informed. <<

Also, from Webster's:
           Sound is "the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing".
           Amplify= " to enlarge, to increase"

       Every piano I have ever seen has had a soundboard that increases the
sensation my ears are perceiving well beyond the sound emanating from the
string. The board doens't increase the energy, but it sure increases the
sound.
What is the basis to say that the board doesn't amplify the sound?  Seems
it would require atypical definitions.

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>The Average US Credit Score is 692. See
Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222376999x1201454299/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=66807
2&hmpgID=62&bcd=May51009AvgfooterNO62)</HTML>