[CAUT] Baldwin Termination Bars

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon May 11 07:52:57 MDT 2009

On May 10, 2009, at 10:27 PM, Bob Hull wrote:

> Also, the horizontally laminated bridge caps have negated the
> phenomenon of the right and center strings of unisons going much
> more out of tune than the left string.

	That's an interesting observation. The original bridge would have
been vertically laminated without cap, I presume. So a horizontally
laminated cap was put on the vertically laminated base? (material
routed off to make room).  Kind of like the Steinway design, but the
cap being laminated?
	That would appear to support the notion that RH related unison smear
is connected to lateral movements within the bridge, ie swelling and
shrinking in a width-wise direction, since vertically laminated is
quite free to move in that dimension.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico