[CAUT] Ideal humidity levels

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Wed May 13 10:29:27 MDT 2009

Just to confirm this with some other CAUTs.  The ideal humidity level
for pianos is between 48% and 52%.  My Interim Chair shared that
information with the architects and they said, "Wow, those are some
tight parameters."  We are planning to press for those parameters.  Just
wanted to get some thoughts from some of you who have gone through a
renovation/construction experience at your schools.  Is it a
possibility?  Very expensive to do that?  How far from ideal can we go
and keep the pianos in a comfortable environment.  I've measured the
humidity level in the present Fine Arts Building as low as 25% in winter
and 80% in the summer with the air conditioning on.

Joy!

Elwood

Rev. Elwood Doss, Jr., M. M. E., RPT

Piano Technician/Technical Director