[CAUT] Ideal humidity levels

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Wed May 13 12:26:37 MDT 2009

Hi Elwood,

Steinway recommends a variation not outside 45% (low) and 50% (high). They
also publish a number for temperature--but I do not remember what the
(narrow) range is.

Hvac can achieve this, at a price. Where I live the air changes per hour is
specified at 7, for public buildings. Find out what the number is where you
live. Not only will the building be expensive to build--it will also be not
cheap to keep such a system running, from a utilities cost point of view
(lots of electricity, lots of water).

Living with 45% to 50% may require a building design that has a layered
approach. Three shells. The outer shell--no attempt is made to control
humidity (temperature is controlled), the next shell is controlled some
what, and inner shell is museum standard, no holds barred. Whether the
school has pockets deep enough to achieve a 5% window in the inner shell is
the question.

If a concert hall is part of the area to be controlled be aware that often
outside air is brought in for cooling, often just before the audience is
allowed into the hall. I've personally measured with a psychodyne a
difference of 30% over a 15 minute time frame. You can imagine how much the
pianos react to that sort of instability.

A rule of thumb for 45" uprights (such as the Yamaha P2) is that A4 may
vary 4 cents for every 5% change in humidity.

I have also measured a Steinway "A" where the humidity control system had
been left unplugged for 3 days (this was before bottom covers). When it was
plugged in for 12 hours in mid winter the pitch at A4 rose 14 cents.
Humidity in the room was a scant 7%.

For the difference in the costs of creating a perfect environment for the
pianos in the building--and going with what Don Mannino suggested as a
"middle range" (45% to 55%)--it would be many thousands of dollars cheaper
to control the pianos individually.

At 11:29 AM 5/13/2009 -0500, you wrote:
>           My Interim Chair shared that information with the architects and
>they said, “Wow, those are some tight parameters.”
>I’ve measured the humidity level in the present Fine Arts Building as
>low as 25% in winter and 80% in the summer with the air conditioning on.
>Joy!  Elwood     Rev. Elwood Doss, Jr., M. M. E., RPT  Piano
>Technician/Technical Director  Department of Music  145 Fine Arts Building
>University of Tennessee at Martin  Martin, TN 38237  Office: 731/881-1852
>Fax: 731/881-7415  Cell: 731/479-4043           No virus found in this
>incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com  Version: 8.5.329 / Virus
>Database: 270.12.27/2112 - Release Date: 05/13/09 07:04:00

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716