[CAUT] Mechanism for sharing performing arts center

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu May 14 09:29:55 MDT 2009

Zeno,

Space sharing in an academic institution is a can of worms on any level
- be it a intra- or inter- departmental. Any "system" is susceptible to
being "gamed" and violated by faculty types many of whom have an
extremely self-centered approach - " this is what I (or my students)
need and everyone else be damned". You are dealing with artists' egos
here... The only way space sharing works is if there is a theater
manager who manages the schedule, has the absolute power of decision
over space use, sole control of access, backing of the administration
and a strong stomach/backbone combination.

Israel Stein