[CAUT] Mechanism for sharing performing arts center

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu May 14 10:18:55 MDT 2009

	I agree with Israel that this is a can of worms. And that it can only
be effected by having an independent manager with the attributes he
describes.
	On a practical note, there are a lot of issues to be resolved. A big
one is the demand for time at the ends of semesters: everybody wants
that last month to month and a half. Another is conflicts in type of
space needs: theater needs a fly area for curtains, etc, which is
anathema to sound reflection for music. If there is a device to cut
off the dead space and reflect sound out to the hall, time is needed
to convert. Theater needs large blocks of time, to get sets put
together, painted, lights hung, plus rehearsal, plus a common two
weekend run. Music and dance are relatively quick in and out.
Perception (based on reality)? Theater is a space and time hog, taking
more than its share.
	So if there are big demands on the space, it will be difficult to
resolve who gets what when in an equitable manner, even with all the
good will in the world. Best advice is to schedule fairly large blocks
of time in a rotating manner very far in advance, and let the
individual departments worry about how to allocate within their own
blocks. It can't be a matter of operating by consensus based on
negotiation (though there should be room for negotiation, when both
parties can agree to a change).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico