[CAUT] Ideal humidity levels - Zeno

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri May 15 13:52:45 MDT 2009

Zeno -
It's good that you are, in theory at least, being allowed to
communicate with the architects.  You could perhaps get some idea if
they have any familiarity with these kinds of issues.  Many, I think,
might tend to assert such expertise without actually owning it.  A
few other related issues:
- Depending upon the design of the building, you likely need more
than one system.  It's difficult to have one system supply both a
large concert space and a series of classrooms or practice rooms
- Depending upon the design, balancing humidity and temperature
through a series of rooms, some of which may get more sunlight, is a
genuine challenge
- Take a look at the air delivery system to the concert hall.  I've
seen a new hall that uses floor-level air supply on the stage, which
I suppose makes a certain amount of sense, as opposed to having
drafts of cold air dropping down from the ceiling, but it does create
turbulent cold air right under the piano.  I'm sure they'll be happy
to redesign the system if you ask them!!
- Seems silly, but...make sure the inner dimension of the elevator
will accommodate the piano, not the dimension of the shaft.  A minor detail.

What me worry.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY