[CAUT] Young Chang Action bracket update

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun May 17 13:43:10 MDT 2009

Here's my story. I finally got the brackets, but guess what? They?are the same size as the old ones. I think my piano was made before the bracket problems.? I had a little problem getting the action out of the piano when?I first took on this job, (the bass hammers?were scraping the pin block), that is why I assumed the brackets had grown. When I tried to put the action in with new hammers, the bass end hammers were about 1/4" too high.?I did?take some thin shims from under the bass end brackets, but not enough to make a real difference. I am going to guess that the original hammers were bored incorrectly, so the new ones are bored the same way. But?I've thrown away to originals. What I've done now is remove about 1/4" off the top of?each wippen cushion, and lowered the hammer line, which?is also giving me aftertouch.?On Tuesday?I am going to?put the action in the piano and see what happens. (The piano is at the stringer's, not my shop).??

Wim