[CAUT] Semantics

Joe Wiencek jwpiano at earthlink.net
Sun May 17 20:06:06 MDT 2009

The whole point of this was not to explain everything about
soundboards or anything else, but to once again try to make the point
that a soundboard isn't an amplifier.

I hate to kick a dead horse, but I have found in past Journals,
citations of some of the origins of confusion, i.e., in the August
1982 Journal, an article by Priscilla and Joel Rappaport, pp. 22-23,
mentions, "The bridge, which is made of hardwood (maple or beech)
transmits this energy to the soundboard.  The soundboard, made of
spruce and being under tension, is receptive to this energy, and
services as an amplifier to the sound."

My only comment is that our profession is an evolving and dynamic
exercise, and is that not better than re-writing obituaries?

Joe Wiencek, RPT
NYU