[CAUT] Semantics

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon May 18 11:40:24 MDT 2009

I am aware of many historic and on-going citations of this type. And you are
right, it does add to the confusion. But times change and as we learn more about
just how the soundboard works I believe it is important that out language keep
pace with the concepts.

The soundboard does not amplify anything. To again quote Fletcher & Rossing,
"Acoustically, the soundboard is the main radiating member in the instrument,
transforming some of the mechanical energy of the strings and bridges into
acoustical energy."

The soundboard system transforms energy one form of energy (the mechanical
energy of the strings) into another (the acoustical energy in the surrounding
air). That fulfills the definition of a transducer.

ddf

  _____