[CAUT] Semantics - Resonance

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon May 18 19:03:10 MDT 2009

O.K.
Here is a simple and fun experiment to understand resonance through personal experience.
First, find a PVC pipe or any kind of tube, about 2 or 3 inches in diameter and maybe 6 feet long.
Away fromm the tube, sing a long glissando. Start with the lowest note you can sing, and make like a slide whistle, up to the highest note you can sing.
Now try to do the same thing, singing into the tube.

The tube encloses a mass of air, which has a series of harmonic resonances (harmonic as in 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, etc)
When you try to sing a glissando into the tube, the resonances will force you to sing the harmonic series of the tube's air mass.
It's a remarkable experience to feel your voice being "snapped" into pitches you are not trying to sing, and not being able to sing the pitches you are trying to sing.

The "wolf tone" of a violin is also a resonance.

In a soundboard, resonance is not desirable.

Resonances in the diaphragm and horn of early acoustic phonographs caused similar distortions, significantly improved in later acoustic phonographs. An aluminum diaphragm is much less resonant than a mica diaphragm. The aluminum diaphragm moves passively at the frequencies the needle drives it, and gives a better reproduction than a mica diaphragm.

The acoustic phonograph is also a transducer. The diaphragm converts sound waves into wiggles at the tip of the needle, which cuts the groove. When the groove wiggles the needle, the diaphragm converts the wiggle into a sound wave. The wiggle itself is silent. Waving a needle back and forth 440 times a second won't make a sound.

Ed Sutton