[CAUT] Mason A Pics

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu May 21 13:24:12 MDT 2009

  I prefer this type of arrangement with a brass half round or half oval
depending on the desired angle.  Only a small strip of felt (soft and easily
compressible) will be inserted on the tuning pin side.  Similarly, you can
do the same thing in the capo section first grinding the counterbearing area
down and inserting half ovals to keep the deflection angle in keeping with
the length.  The piano wire moves quite nicely over the brass.

It's a bit of a job in this case as you need to destring the piano again but
it does sound like a rendering problem since the strings are moving both
sharp and flat.  Still, better than shoving it in the closet.

The piano pictured is a Steinway B that I'm in the process of setting up
ready for stringing.

David Love