[CAUT] Mason A Pics

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu May 21 16:01:37 MDT 2009

Hi Paul,

Agraffes are better than new using the Revenko-Jones method. (Dremil buffing of inside with Brasso and Q-tip) Bridges, etc. all resurfaced with no weird angles. I think the front is the problem. I replaced the cloth with what looked and felt (no pun) like what was there, but I should have used proper cloth. Weight is really good. 50/20ish and consistent. While M&H weighting system is a bit different than others I quite like it.

Best,
Jim

Hey Jim and Jon,

This conversation helps me a lot!  I have a 1922 M&H "A" (same age as my Dad, so I understand it's "grumpiness)!!!) in the shop ready for restringing.  The angles look about the same, but a bit less % on angle. Yes, I think there might be problems in the thickess of the front rail cloth.  Mine is firm and hard, not all fluffy and thick as yours.  This might be part,(or all??) of the problem.  I had no probs with tuning stability, but lots of broken strings in the capo section, due to the practice piano syndrome.  I will be addressing the capo issue as well in this project, plus other stuff and corroded strings, dead bass strings....ya know, the usual stuff)

Jim, (OT) how is the down-weight/upweight numbers? Not having anything to do with the tuning problem, but my piano is waaaay heavy. That's a new issue, and perhaps I should bring that to a new topic.

But, by seeing these pics, if you can get much thinner front rail cloth in there, it may help a lot.  How are the agraffes? They might need replacing as well, or at least, need a drop of McLube...or something???? You might have a rendering problem in the front.  How are the bridge pins, bridge surfaces, back duplex areas?  Just more to look at ;>)

Staying very interested in this project.

Paul