[CAUT] Mason A Pics

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu May 21 14:43:45 MDT 2009

Hey Jim and Jon,

This conversation helps me a lot!  I have a 1922 M&H "A" (same age as my
Dad, so I understand it's "grumpiness)!!!) in the shop ready for
restringing.  The angles look about the same, but a bit less % on angle.
Yes, I think there might be problems in the thickess of the front rail
cloth.  Mine is firm and hard, not all fluffy and thick as yours.  This
might be part,(or all??) of the problem.  I had no probs with tuning
stability, but lots of broken strings in the capo section, due to the
practice piano syndrome.  I will be addressing the capo issue as well in
this project, plus other stuff and corroded strings, dead bass
strings....ya know, the usual stuff)

Jim, (OT) how is the down-weight/upweight numbers? Not having anything to
do with the tuning problem, but my piano is waaaay heavy. That's a new
issue, and perhaps I should bring that to a new topic.

But, by seeing these pics, if you can get much thinner front rail cloth in
there, it may help a lot.  How are the agraffes? They might need replacing
as well, or at least, need a drop of McLube...or something???? You might
have a rendering problem in the front.  How are the bridge pins, bridge
surfaces, back duplex areas?  Just more to look at ;>)

Staying very interested in this project.

Paul

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
05/21/2009 02:19 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

"caut at ptg.org" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Mason A Pics

Jon,

I think you're right. You can see where the strings are actually cutting
grooves. I'm just not sure what to do where the angle is so acute. (by the
break)

Regards,
Jim Busby