[CAUT] Mason A Pics

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu May 21 13:57:41 MDT 2009

Thanks Ben.

That's a good idea, and it will give me feedback sooner than doing a whole restring, etc.

Regards,
Jim

   Hello Jim Busby,
   Before you start tuning it, I have a story to share.
   You suspect as much. I have a client with an aging Baldwin L that had felt under the front duplex segment of the capo section that made it impossible to tune. It was hard as a rock. After phoning a few local technicians who could not ascertain why the capo would not stay in tune for more than a week or two when returning after tuning it once in a week or two I decided to carve down the felt between the strings until it appeared the strings cleared the felt without bearing on it.
   Now she only calls me about once every two years, and it will still be in tune then. Simple solution to a problem some techs she had look at it could not figure out.
   Whether or not that is part of the problem in this case, I do not know. Both photos show some evidence of bearing on the felt; I would try using a razor or something between the strings-I just used a screwdriver-to drive down the felt, before de-stringing it, and see if anything happens.
   Good luck,
     - Ben