[CAUT] Mason A Pics

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu May 21 15:42:13 MDT 2009

Jim-

The front bearing geometry of the Baldwin L, as I recall it, is
significantly different from the M & H A. The hard felt plays a different
role from what looks like wool cloth you have covering the "hump" on the
plate.

If you are clever, you can loosen about 4 notes at a time, pull out the
cloth and slip a half-round brass bar under the strings. Put it somewhat
"downhill," just high enough to clear the strings over the top edge and feed
the strings to the pins at a 90 degree angle, and it may solve your problem
with the least amount of re-engineering.

Functionally it will give you the same result as David's and Jon's long
brass bars.

Long time ago I worked on an old M & H that had rosewood bearing bars at the
front. To the best of my memory it tuned well.

Ed Sutton