[CAUT] Double loop German stringing

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat May 23 18:00:01 MDT 2009

Gordon,

>So the benefit of using a double loop (or eye) is that it does not
>cinch up on the hitch pin like a single?  Is there any other
>advantage?

Very often, in the case of a conventional twisted eye, the twisted
length before the eye will run over the stringing pillow and into the
active back-scale length. This will tend to reduce the flexibility of
the back-scale and, the ability of the soundboard to be effectively
driven at fundamental frequencies. When a vertical hitch is used the
above-mentioned stiffening effect of the twisted pair will be avoided
since the back-scale length will make first contact at the vertical
hitch pin somewhere towards the back or sides of the pin.

The use of a double looped German eye, in cases where the twisted
pair extends to the active back-scale, will result in improved
back-scale flexibility. For short pianos with overly short back-scale
lengths and twisted eyes, the low bass tonal improvement of the
double looped German eye can be significant.

>I have probably over thought this, but I'm wondering if the double
>loop can cause the wire to leave the hitchpin slightly higher (like
>1/2 the wire thickness) then a single loop, thereby affecting
>downbearing.  Probably too little to be a concern, (?)

Yes, this will occur if the back scale length runs straight to the
bridge from the hitch pin. For those pianos with a strip (stringing
pillow) to control string height, the thickness of the extra coil
will be of no consequence.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY