[CAUT] glue/hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 3 14:33:42 MST 2009

It's interesting to me that so many techs are using Titebond's
Molding glue for hammers. After so many years of hearing sworn
testimony, often frothing, that a less than glass hard glue
will kill hammer tone catastrophically, it pleases me to near
no such negative claims about as soft a glue as this stuff is.
There's a more plausible smell of reality about it. Alan, I
suspect the pliability of the glue is at least somewhat
responsible for the joints' durability under humidity extremes.

I use hot hide, not for any believed magic tonal properties,
but because I like the stuff and am comfortable working with
it. Since I started (somewhere around 30 years ago) beveling
the bore edge before gluing the hammers on, I haven't had a
loose hammer with it. It seems that scraping the glue off the
shank with a sharp edged hole in the hammer molding is
counterproductive to good glue joints. Whooda thought?

If you want a very quick set easy to work cold glue that dries
crispy hard, try some of WN&G's glue. It's Franklin's Assembly
65. Also good stuff.

Ron N