[CAUT] boston comments

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 16 15:49:31 MST 2009

Hi Jeff

I agree... actually I think both the 178 and the 215 are great
instruments. Really nice refreshing alternative to the brashy sound one
often hears from asian made pianos. Definitely more a Steinway product
then a Kawaii... regardless what you hear from some folks... at least in
my book.

Cheers
RicB

    I did a half day regulation/voicing on a Boston GP178II yesterday.
    Very nice piano when I was done. Can't believe anyone wouldn't like
    it.  I have seen the Boston get "loose" and bright. But like any
    piano in a high use situation, you've got to commit the resources to
    keep the flanges repinned, actions regulated and hammers replaced as
    needed. I think the problem we run into though is the "disposable"
    mentality - not spending enough on the cost of the instrument to
    warrant spending adequate money on service.  Especially true for
    loan situations.  (one concern that our recommended CAUT budget
    formula can be inaccurate)

    Tanner