[CAUT] Servicing guide rail bushings

Stan Kroeker smkroeker at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 21 13:30:38 MST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Am regretting not replacing damper guiderail bushings on a recent
Steinway (1976 B) parts retrofit.  The new damper action installed
smoothly and required only minimal re-bending of damper wires.
However, in spite of careful attention to proper alignment and seating
of bichord and trichord damper wedges, I can't seem to eradicate an
'oink' together with longer-than-satisfactory 'ringing-on' of most
dampers in this part of the scale.

There is actually quite a bit of free play in the guiderail
bushings ... you can see the damper head wobble when the key is
struck.  Am kicking myself for neglecting this important interface
but, short of rebushing the rails, has anyone had success with
moistening the bushings in hopes of swelling them back to acceptable
tolerance?  I sometimes do that with moderately compressed
keybushings ... would it work on these as well?  If so, would you mind
sharing the procedure?

Thanks and best regards from the Canadian prairie!

Stan Kroeker, RPT