[CAUT] Servicing guide rail bushings

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 21 14:24:28 MST 2009

Hi Stan,

Steinway Guide rails are "designed" to be rather loose.  Proper regulation
of the wire means bending them in such a way that there is slight
side-bearing on the guide rail felt to control any wobbling tendencies.
Once you've established that slight side bearing, that's when you move to
the wire above the guide rail and space the damper heads to the strings.
I'm not sure if that will help or not, but just thought I'd mention that
"loose" bushings on a S&S guide rail are "factory standard," and can be made
to work as well as any other system, IMO.

William R. Monroe