[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 13:09:01 MST 2009

You're suggesting manufacturers should have staffing requirements for dealers?  What about a small dealer  that doesn't need a full time tech?  And if a dealer didn't hire an approved tech, what should the consequences be?
Mark Wisner

Yes, I'm suggesting that manufacturers require dealers to hire only "qualified" technicians. The technician doesn't have to work full time for the dealer, but that tech should have taken, and/or passed, a manufacture's "exam". The requirement could be as low as taking two classes at a PTG sponsored seminar, or as high as attending a week long semianr at a factory, like the LRS. The consequence would be loosing the franchise.

This has nothing to do, per se, with the PTG. Manufacturers could set up their own day or weekend seminars, or they could utilize PTG seminars to teach those classes.

You probably get calls all the time from technicians in the field asking for help on basic regulation problems that a RPT level technician should know. The bottom line is that if manufactures are really concerned about who works on their instruments, perhaps they should be more pro-active in making sure those techs have the basic knowledge to work on them.

Now, if Yamaha, for instance, wants to recognize that all RPT's are "qualified" to work on Yamaha pianos, that's a decision Yamaha needs to make. That is why I asked how the LRS exam is different than the RPT exam. Would an RPT need additional training to become a "factory trained" technician?

Wim