[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 13:19:55 MST 2009

The question of qualifications and continuing education has certainly brought out lots of comments.  But another consideration is the reverse effect it might have on PTG membership numbers.  I suspect there are more than a few RPT's and associates who are on the fence as to staying involved with our group, for many reasons:  Part-timers, those nearing retirement, finances, marginal interest, distance to chapters, etc. etc.  Could the mandatory education requirement push these folks into dropping their membership?  Maybe in time, they would anyway and it would separate the wheat from the chaff.  Do you make it a perequisite to membership or voluntary?  Perhaps it could be structured in a way that would incentivize (is that a word?) the program in more ways.
    Mike Kurta

Mike

I don't if Jeannie is talking about all RPT's, but my suggestion is only for techs who work for dealers. From that point of view, especially if a manufacture will recognize that an RPT has been "pre-approved" and is "qualified" to work on a manufacture's instrument, it might encourage more techs to join the ranks.

To expand this a little further, this requirement might also be extended to schools who have this manufacturer's instruments. As Fred pointed out, the RPT requirement is not anywhere close to being fully qualified as a concert level technician, but again, it's a step in the right direction.

It would be interesting to know how other industries handle the maintenance of their products, not only at dealers, but also in universities and other situations. Does anyone know of those qualifications first hand? Companies like computers, lab equipment, cars, etc.

Wim