[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 21:35:17 MST 2009

In a message dated 11/23/2009 8:40:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
zeno.wood at gmail.com writes:

Hi all,

I appreciate what you're saying about urging dealerships to only hire
highly skilled technicians, but I have a different take on it.  For many
technicians straight out of the few schools out there, working for a  dealership
is a good way to get started in this  business.

It's a perfect way, and with proper training in new piano preparation, many
 of them are running into dealers who don't want them to do the work the
way it  needs to be done. So they move on, and the less experienced and
cheaper  technicians move back in. So it goes, pace Kurt Vonnegut.

 Sometimes these folks are actually members of the PTG and  sometimes they
actually are RPTs (for instance the recent cohort from North  Bennett Street)

And from CSPT, Zeno!

, but they're still new and have much to learn.  They can  learn a lot
prepping pianos for a dealership, learn things that it would take  a lot longer
to learn on their own.  They also have a lot to offer,  because after one or
two years in school they are, after all, pretty  solid.

Significantly more solid than the untaught or largely self-taught,
learn-on-the-backs-of-your-clients technicians like I was 30 years ago. But
certainly cheaper!

  I don't think it makes sense to create barriers for solid  techs who
don't have much experience.

Regards,
Zeno Wood

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Jeannie Grassi <_jcgrassi at earthlink.net_