[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Tue Nov 24 07:20:49 MST 2009

> If a manufacturer doesn’t care how their pianos are prepared once
> they ship them out, there won’t be any changes at the dealer’s end.

Manufacturers do care, but their options and resources are limited.
Same goes for dealers.  I think we need to look closer to home, i.e.,
local PTG chapters.  Conventions and regional seminars are great, but
they will only reach a limited number of technicians.  Local
education is the neglected element in raising the education bar.

I would like to see a curriculum of 12 monthly lessons, required to
be taught by every chapter on a regular rotation and separate from
regular meeting times. The standardized curriculum would cover all
the elements of the PTG exam, at the minimum.

Secondly I'd like to see a national campaign to highlight regulation
as a part of regular piano service.  We tell our customers to tune at
least once a year.  We need to also promote a regulation within the
first 5 years of a piano's lifetime.  People know that equipment
needs to be maintained, so the promotion of regulation wouldn't be
foreign.  It would be nice if manufacturers and dealers would pick up
the tab for piano prep before the piano goes out the door, but I
can't see it happening.  And expecting it would  just give
technicians more reason to bash the builders and retailers.  It's the
customers and the service technicians who need to be responsible once
the piano is in the home.

Finally we need to be patient.  Concert technician level competency
comes with good training, experience, and good mentors.  If every
piano owner not only had the piano tuned once a year, but regulated
at least once in the piano's lifetime, there would be lots of work
for everyone, and even beginners would get the experience they need
to improve their skill level.  One of the main aspects of the PTG
exams in not only to test competency, but also to instill a quest for
continuing education as a part of a community of professionals.

Richard West

PS I agree that this should be a PTG-L thread.  Oh, well, if only we
lived in a perfect world, universal health care included.