[CAUT] Una chorda shift "click"

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 24 18:51:18 MST 2009

Sometimes a "click" occurs when the keyframe (and glides, and spring
and other contact points) "become mated" with the surface they
contact. So the first time you press the pedal, you get a kind of
clicking sound, usually less on subsequent times, and usually less
when pressing the pedal fast. Really the only fix is to address every
single bearing surface, making them all smooth, clean and well lubed.
The treble end of the keyframe might need some sanding to become
smooth (dents develop from contact with the spring). Metal should all
be polished with Flitz or the like, and have McLube applied to it.
Wood should all be sanded down to maybe 600 paper, wiped clean with a
rag, and have teflon applied.
	Of course, loose wood joints or glides or whatnot could also be the
cause, as others have pointed out.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico