[CAUT] WN&G capstans

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 29 18:02:08 MST 2009

They are lighter and they don't tarnish, all good things.  The German
capstans that Pianotek sells have a nice profile and I don't see much
difference there in terms of performance.  I did use a set of the WNG
recently on an action rebuild as I was relocating the capstan to solve a
weight problem, looking for all the help I could get and thought I'd try
them.  Since I'm graphing balance weight, friction UW, DW on every action
rebuild I do get a chance to see these numbers and admittedly didn't see
that much , if any , difference in the numbers on this action compared to
any other I've done with the brass capstans in terms of friction readings,
at least that could be traced to the capstan.  I just don't find it to be
that high an area of friction generally unless there's some real problem
with the felt on the wippen heel or perhaps some serious corrosion on the
top of the capstan.  Still, the cost difference is not that significant and
I can't really think of a down side to using them.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com