[CAUT] WN&G capstans

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Mon Nov 30 05:25:17 MST 2009

Hi All,

David.... all good points... I agree that the capstan/heel contact
point is not a high friction area if the action is set up properly
and the contact point passes through the magic line..

I've been using hard anodized capstans since the early 1990's and
looking at the heel felt of these actions that have been in use for
16 years I see NO tarnish as would be expected with brass... The felt
looks brand new with a little compacting as would be expected. so I
think the non tarnishing effect is a BIG PERK.  I expect that when
tarnish gets into the felt it accelerates the wear over time.

The non tarnish effect is even more of a positive perk with hard
anodized key pins.. they completely eliminate the need to lubricate
key bushings and I expect the life of key bushings to be at least
doubled and maybe tripled over time...maybe even more than triple...
this could be a really big cost saver and quality keeper especially
in Colleges and Universities.... time will tell...

David Stanwood