[CAUT] S&S wippen center pin height

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:52:43 MDT 2009

This post was brought up because my mentor, Dale Erwin, was having to raise
the stack on an O that was one of the very first ones. Almost a prototype.
He didn't know of a wippen pin height and wanted to. I was suggesting the
stack might still need to be rotated since the cushion/shank gap was way too
much, even after the raise.

After the raise, the hammer pin was a mm higher from the keybed and the
wippen pin was 83mm. The stack can't go much higher no matter what the spec
is from the string plane because the tops of those huge roundtop screws need
to be ground off as it sits. However, the stack could rotate the wippen rail
up to solve the CAF without raising the hammer pin. The string plane is not
good on this casting.

I thank you all
Keith Roberts