[CAUT] WNG keypins

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Sep 4 10:45:29 MDT 2009

Hi all,
	I posted a while back about the new WNG front rail pins, and the
sizing problem: their stems being smaller than the holes in the rail.
A couple people mentioned some nylon (or similar material) inserts
provided by WNG. They had been left out of my shipment by mistake. I
have now obtained them, and installed a set, and thought I'd share
some info.
	The inserts are oversized, both outside and inside diameter. So the
holes in the rail need to be drilled out larger, inserts installed,
then the inserts drilled. They have a good brochure on their web site
telling you how to do all this. I have one comment about that: the
drill bit size they recommend for the initial hole is #16 .177". The
inserts are about .188". I thought that seemed a bit much of a
difference, but was trusting and tried it. When I pressed an insert
into a hole, it would go no more than 2/3 of the way in. At that point
it just distorted (the portion above the hole). So I ended up re-
drilling up a couple sizes, and it went fine. Perhaps the size they
give assumes a softer wood for the front rail. Mine was oak.
	In any case, a good system. The pins are wonderful: the polished
anodized aluminum is a great contribution to the profession, slick as
can be and durable. And the insert system is far better than plugging
or filling with something like epoxy and then re-drilling.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu