[CAUT] WNG keypins

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Fri Sep 4 14:32:51 MDT 2009

Fred -

Thanks for the report. I will be installing a set of these on an S&S
A-III that I recently acquired. This time last year I installed the
composite reps and anodized capstans on a B, and was able to get exactly
the touch characteristics I was after with significantly reduced front
weights. On this A I will be adding in the keypins plus a set of assist
springs on the composite reps. I plan on using the springs to reduce
BW's & FW's only minimally (say, 5g or 6g) and then mostly as a
micro-adjusters to even out touch and compensate for future SW reduction
due to hammer reshaping.

My real question at this point is whether or not to use the carbon
shanks. On WNG's site they make the point that the stiffness of these
shanks is far more consistent than hornbeam, which makes perfect sense,
but I am nevertheless concerned about possible tonal effects. I played a
new M&H AA with the full composite action a couple of year ago, and
didn't detect any obvious differences between it and its non-composite
new brethren (I prep these occasionally for a local dealer, so I'm
reasonably familiar with them). At the same time I heard that Kawai had
experimented with carbon shanks and didn't like the tonal results. Like
you I have seen the high-speed films that show clearly how much shanks
flex, and the discussions that I have seen here and elsewhere about
"tone testing" shanks before installation, as well as the old voicing
trick of thinning shanks  (either wholesale in the treble or
individually) or the use of cedar shanks in old uprights would seem to
indicate that noticeable results can had by manipulating shank
stiffness. I have even wondered if Dave Stanwood's shank clips might
also not have an effect on shank flex along with SW. I had a long talk
with Bruce Clark & M&H and he is (understandably) very enthusiastic
about these parts. He believes that softer hammers will produce more
power with less lacquer than with wooden shanks. They also have more new
stuff in the planning stages that will be of great interest to us as
action rebuilders. Have you had any direct experience with these shanks?

- Mark