[CAUT] Steinway Documentary (Paul T Williams)

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Tue Sep 15 15:05:11 MDT 2009

Well, really, Samurai Sword steel (folded and layered with harder steel
at the edge than the body) makes the ideal chisel. :-)

My thought about the used file story is that these are the cheapest and
most readily available material that works well to make a decent chisel.
It's not like one would seek out used files because they really make the
best chisels, IMHO.   One can buy very good chisels that will hold an
edge well, but they cost a fair amount.

The bridge notching chisels I have seen in Japan are very cool - they
are angle chisels, with an angled cutting edge.  The bridge notches are
cut in from the side, which helps to keep the string termination really
clean.  The chisel cuts the vertical drop and the notch at the same
time.

The Kawai factory 'propaganda' video shows one of these in use, if you
have a Kawai dealer nearby.  I have attached a scan of one of the
chisels in use, but it's not from the best angle.

Don Mannino

  _____