[CAUT] germs

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Wed Sep 16 07:28:59 MDT 2009

We have signs up in all the rooms with pianos that say."In order to prevent the spread of infectious diseases it is recommended that you wash your hands before and after using the piano."
As far as cleaning the keys you would have to know how long the virus or bacteria can survive on the surface without a host. Not long usually. So using a specific agent to clean the keys which may be dangerous to the piano and not relevant to frequent use (unless you want  to stand-by, ready to clean after every infected person plays) seems futile. Having said that I do make a practice of cleaning the keys before any service of any piano anywhere. Maybe it's the Woody Allen in me. Good advice was previously given regarding the use of alcohol products. They can be used but need to be diluted with lots of water and wiped off and really don't do much towards reducing disease. But they can help cut some of the grease as a cleaning agent.
Last but not least when washing your hands it is the water that is our biggest ally and you should sing the Alphabet Song while washing to help get through the 30 seconds necessary to do a thorough job. Repeated use of anti- bacterial soaps can bring its own set of troubles like antibiotic resistance.
Stay well,
Chris Solliday