[CAUT] Climate Systems, String Covers, and Effects on Tuning Stability & Tone

Jeff Stickney stickneyjp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 09:31:40 MDT 2009

Paul,

I have only sold string covers to private customers, and mostly then for
the "ease of cleaning" and keeping the dust out. They certainly have the
added benefit of protecting the strings and helping some with tuning
stability, but in dry Montana rusted strings are not a big problem. If
you opt to go for commercially made covers, I have experienced
difficulty in communicating with Edwards and have opted to go with
*WWW.DAWSONSTRINGCOVERS.COM <http://www.dawsonstringcovers.com/>.

*Their service is great, and they send you a kit with a little mini
cover as a sample. As for the effects on performance, I would take the
practical approach. Have someone play for you while you sit in the hall
with and without the cover and decide. If there are lights directly on
the piano, the cover may help with stability during the performance, but
otherwise I wouldn't think taking the cover off for a performance and
then putting it back on would greatly affect stability - but experience
would let you know. The biggest trouble would be compliance - hard
enough to keep a piano cover in place much less having the additional
string cover to deal with. Good luck.

Jeff Stickney