[CAUT] Climate Systems, String Covers, and Effects on Tuning Stability & Tone

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Sep 17 10:34:48 MDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 1:00 AM, Paul Milesi wrote:

> Can a string cover be left on the piano during recitals?  The first
> person to play with it on last week thought it was damping the
> tone.  I’m sure it is to some extent, but was thinking it’s tonal
> effects are nominal, and are far outweighed by gains in tuning
> stability and rust prevention.  What are your thoughts on this?  Is
> the sensatin of damped tone anything more than psychological?

	I would say the difference is probably a good bit greater for the
player than for the audience. However, that is a significant factor,
as the performer is reacting in real time to what the instrument is
putting out in his/her direction. Presence or absence of the music
desk can be significant in what the performer hears, and it is a
somewhat similar difference (though the string cover will have at
least some impact on what the audience hears, while the music desk
won't). It can sometimes be difficult for a performer, particularly a
young green one, to compensate for and adapt to differences like this.
	IOW, yes, to a large extent it is psychological (though with a
physical component), but that has its own reality and importance.
Music is a head game, and if the head game doesn't work. the physical
aspects will suffer as well. For some pianists, the change from the
string cover's presence will be positive (it will "voice the
instrument down a bit"), so it will be a mixed bag. Probably they'll
all get used to it in fairly short order. It's just a change, like
adding muting felt to a duplex, or voicing.
	BTW, I think bottom covers probably have more impact on tuning
stability, though string covers are the thing for corrosion.
	With respect to filling tanks, I'd say you should accept all the help
you can get, but not count on it. Letting tanks go dry means the pads
instantly need to be changed (they get hard and stop absorbing
efficiently). So I would definitely go through regularly and keep an
eye on them.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico