[CAUT] [pianotech] Climate Systems, String Covers, and Effects on Tuning Stability & Tone

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 11:56:56 MDT 2009

with string covers to maximize tuning stability.  I purchased several yards of string cover felt from Schaff, and placed a cover on a Yamaha C5 in the recital hall.
Felt string covers are not good for pianos, especially in very humid climates. Felts absorbs moisture, then releases it onto the strings. And when felt gets too wet, it will actually  attach itself to the strings. I actually had to rip a piece of felt cover off a section of strings. My recommendation is to get a ranch hide cover. It doesn't absorb moisture, and acts as a barrier.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943