[CAUT] travelin' lead on SNR

Mccoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Fri Sep 18 17:58:07 MDT 2009

What a party animal you are, young Nossman.

:)

Alan

________________________________
From: Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:23:33 -0700
To: Pianotech <pianotech at ptg.org>
Cc: CAUTlist <caut at ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] travelin' lead on SNR

This is one of the pianos for which I write "SNR" (still needs
rebuilt) on the card after the tuning date. It's a dead
Baldwin L in daily use in a teaching studio of one of the
colleges I tune for. For fifteen years, I've watched the
hammers get flatter along with the soundboard. Depressing as
that is, there is one strangely entertaining thing about this
piano. A short length of pencil lead is migrating around in
the habitation layer of accumulated dust on the soundboard.
Every visit, I look to see where the lead has gotten to since
last time, or if the dust has finally won and buried it. Like
the "racetrack" rocks in Death Valley, I've never seen it
move, but it's in slightly different places every visit, and
the tracks show the limits of where it's been.

I know, it's pretty lame as far as entertainment goes, but I
think it's kind of cute. In contrast to tuning those
unmaintained and mostly non functional pianos every year, this
is high drama.

The ultimate cheap date,
Ron N