[CAUT] Goldberg Variations

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Sep 18 18:34:56 MDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Fred-
>
> I believe you are confusing Valotti, Valotti-Young(Transposed
> Valotti) and Young.
> See Jorgensen pp. 180, 254 and 264.
>
> Ed Sutton

	Nope, I am not confused. My sources for both Vallotti and Young are
impeccable.
	There are some quibbles that may be made. Young made a couple
revisions and improvements, so that to be precise there are more than
one "Young." Vallotti's instructions make clear that he actually meant
1/6 syntonic (not Pythagorean)  comma 5ths, and hence needed to deal
with the schisma, which he said should be placed between F and Bflat
(IOW, that 5th is 2 cents narrow in his instructions, though nobody
bothers today).
	But essentially what I stated is correct: Young is Vallotti
transposed by one fifth. Young came up with his notion independently
of Vallotti, many years later. Young's temperament was known in the
20th century before Vallotti's, as Vallotti's was hiding in a
manuscript of a second volume of a work - the first volume was
published, the second wasn't. Some other Italians were aware of
Vallotti's pattern, and other Italians of Vallotti's time came up with
similar patterns (whether they were copying one another or whether
there was a simultaneous evolution of similar ideas is an open
question).
	When Vallotti's manuscript was rediscovered in the 20th century, the
Young temperament was re-named "Vallotti-Young" in order to credit the
earlier discoverer or inventor. There has been a lot of confusion ever
since.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico