[CAUT] Goldberg Variations

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Sep 21 13:10:46 MDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Donald McKechnie wrote:

> All,
>
> Our harpsichord professor and students will be performing the
> Goldberg Variations on our harpsichords next month. She wants a well
> temperament that works for the Goldbergs. I have been tuning the
> Bach/Lehman but she does not particularly like it this work. There
> is some time to experiment with various temperaments but I though it
> might be helpful to query this list for some suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Don

	An interesting resource: http://www.polettipiano.com/Pages/pag1engpaul.html
This is a translation of Werckmeister's tuning instructions -
practical rather than theoretical - from his treatise on continuo
playing, 1698 (Bach was 13). A very interesting document, and probably
as revealing as any concerning how Germans were tuning at the time.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu