[CAUT] New flu info

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Wed Sep 23 19:58:04 MDT 2009

No medical degree is writing this although my wife has been in medicine/medical field her entire career here's my 2c.
I have found that the Purell and similar hand sanitizers have a large percentage of alcohol.
Active ingredient 62% Ethyl Alcohol.  The all important instructions step# 2  "Rub hands together until dry" is where the issues may come about. I should be able to take some photos from our under5yr old S&S pianos from teaching studio where there is some noticeable concerns. As to an exact analysis of the reason for the alleged degradation, I believe it may be more of a connection to the alcohol and finger oil on the key tops rather than the plastic "melting".  The S&S finishes do have a reaction with denatured alcohol and I believe that Ethyl is too close a partner to denatured to take a risk giving an "all safe" for the waterless cleaner.  The old finished key tops as well. Again I reemphasize that as long as the stuff DRIES there is no reaction and the hands are "debugged".
Germs need moisture to survive. Put a virus or bacteria in a pietre dish, let it dry out and it dies.

Gerry Cousins
West Chester University of PA