[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Sep 24 22:07:12 MDT 2009

Clean terminations are definitely a perceivable benefit much like uniform torque in a pinblock that is double drilled.  I have done the polishing procedure on agraffes that I couldn’t replace.  I was not able to discern a difference in quality  from those on other pianos that I’ve simply replaced with new ones.  Perhaps that’s my limitation, but I don’t think so.  The work on bridges to insure that the terminations are clean does also reap a great benefit (previous post).  Naturally, if one is in doubt, then it’s best to err on the side of caution.  I haven’t yet really found the need in this particular area, at least with the agraffes I’m using.  On the other hand, I did once get a set from a different source than I currently use and had some definite noise problems in a certain section.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com