[CAUT] Action Rail Flange Cloth

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 13:33:31 MDT 2009

I saw a less than mediocre rebuild today with a bare rail.
Even with the screws tight, the flanges could be turned.

How can the felt reduce impact noise with the screw
transmitting the energy to the rail.

I use fine emery cloth which I buy in a roll from
Klingspor and cut 1/2' wide, long strips. I use double-
sided tape used to affix plastic sheeting to windows;
3M makes a 1/2" wide tape for this...perfect.

Once the cloth is down, sometimes continuous, I punch
a few holes with an awl and install the flanges,
punch a few more...

The tape and cloth can be inserted under the tenor,
thin brass support by bending it upwards slightly and
then straightening.
--

Regards,

Jon Page