[CAUT] Vertigris on Action Rail

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 2 08:39:47 MDT 2010

Good comments, Brother Ed!

I was unsure about the possibility of lanolin, not sure how much the cloth has been cleaned. Historically, mild acids were also used to produce verdigris pigments. Apparently copper can react with just about anything.

I hesitate to go further because of my ignorance of chemistry, but my metallurgy book mentions that tiny amounts of "deoxidizers" such as phosphorus  are commonly alloyed with copper to prevent weakening by scattered oxidation. This might account for the relatively slight oxidatin we see on bass strings.

In an increasingly digital/virtual world, I find great solace in our grunt relationships with actual stuff!

Ed S.